Monday, May 11, 2009

A Mothers Thankfulness...

This Mothers Day was one I will remember for a long time. Not because of what we did or any type of gift that I got. (although that was so thoughtful and awesome too...I have the best husband)  It will be one I will remember for a long time because of circumstance and the perspective that tragedy often brings. 

On Saturday I attended a funeral for my friend Anna's mom. Her mom was killed in a car accident two weeks ago. She was hit by a drunk driver on her way home from visiting her sick Dad. Anna is a year younger than me. I can't even imagine not having my mom. My heart just broke for Anna and her loss. Even though her Mom is in a better place dancing and laughing with Jesus, it was still a sad new reality that she was called home much sooner than anyone expected. This made me want to call my mom just to hear her voice. I am so thankful for my mom and her love. And to my mother in law, Tana for her unconditional love. What a gift. 

We met a couple many years ago through The Well (our church) named Sol and Monica. Monica and I led a bible study together in college. Monica has been battling cancer for over a year and is in a lot of pain recently. They have talked about hospice for her to help manage the pain.  She is a wonderful Momma to a little boy named Kai. He is about a year older than Logan. Through it all she has remained incredibly brave, gracious and at peace with what God has for her life. She has taught me so much about prayer and joy in the midst of no answers and pain. If you are a praying person and would like to join us in praying for Monica, you can follow her blog by following the link on our blog. (Titled: Sol and Monica)

Reading Monica and Sol's posts has made me incredibly grateful for the time I have on earth here with my little girl. I love being her Momma and am so grateful for the time the Lord has given me with her no matter how long or short. I held her tight last night as I put her to bed. Thank you Monica and Mona for a lesson I hope to never forget.

The truth is, we will all die someday. Some will die unexpectedly and some will die with warning. We all have to the opportunity to do two things with that now. 1. Where are you going? 2. Are you making your time here matter? 

Hug your loved ones often.  Happy Mothers Day. 


1 comment:

Danielle said...

That was very inspiring to read! Thank You for that! I hope you had a Wonderful Mother's Day!