Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Be careful little mouths of what you say.....

I am Italian. On a bad day, I can get very passionate and say things that I don't mean when I am frustrated. It doesn't happen often and to many people, but usually the one person I love the most. My best friend and soulmate, Travis. Being Italian, I guess you can say it runs in our family. :)

I doubt I would classify as having an anger problem because my "moments" are very few and are between. But when they happen...look out, Mama ain't happy. And I become historical. Thank goodness God isn't finished with me and I have a very patient husband. Wive's can you relate?

Do you have scars from someone else's anger? Are you passing that on to your children?

Are you leaving scars on anyone you love?

The other day I helped in Logan's Sunday School class. They sang a little song that I feel we can all learn from even as adults..."Be careful little mouths of what you say, cause the Father up above is looking down below so be careful little mouths of what you say..."

Our words are powerful. Make sure they are communicating what we want other people to remember and hear.

Last year at our Moms and More bible study a wonderful gal came and shared on the topic of "Angry Mom". She shared this story. Since she shared this story it has been something that I think about semi-often.

(I promise I won't become a story/article girl....last one for a while I promise, I have just been wanting to share this for awhile)

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn’t lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, “You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won’t matter how many times you say I’m sorry, the wound is still there.”

The little boy then understood how powerful his words were. He looked up at his father and said “I hope you can forgive me father for the holes I put in you.”

“Of course I can,” said the father.



2 comments:

The Tucker Family said...

Wow Katie! Thank you for this post! I am truly thankful for your humble heart and it really encouraged me! This is exactly what I needed today and God allowed you to show me this!

Blessings, Stephanie Tucker (Kim Langstraat's sister)

Jenn said...

Thank you for sharing about that. Anger is so destructive, but we often excuse it when it comes out of our own hearts and attitudes. I am thankful for the Word of God that convicts and the Spirit of God that empowers us to love God and others the way He commands. It isn't always easy, but it is sure worth it!