Our primary pediatrician, Dr. Mojibi had already thrown around the possibility that she thought Luke has Asthma like Logan but I didn't feel the weight until the Pulmonologist handed me the prescription for Luke's asthma medications yesterday morning. My heart sank.
Just to give you a window into our life Logan takes 5 different medicines very single day. Two of them are steroids. (two inhalers, Singular, Allegra, Nasonex) Trav made a comment last night that Logan has taken more meds in her 3 1/2 years of life than both of us have in our nearly 60 years combined. Not to mention all that medicine alone costs about $300-400 a month. Thats just for Logan's meds. Not to mention, I am kind of a hippy in the sense of I HATE MEDICINE. I hardly ever take it myself so to be giving it to Logan, kills me.
With Luke starting down the same path you can only imagine my heartache.
Trav and I awhile back said that if the air quality in the valley was interfering with the health of our children we would move. That was before we had kids. Thats one of those statements that in your heart you know to be true but the reality is so much harder. And let be honest, we never thought it would really be a reality for us.
Our lives are here in Fresno. My whole family, a job Trav enjoys, our amazing friends, neighbors, and a church and community that we LOVE.
Last night Trav and I got on the topic of moving and if we should consider since Fresno is literally one of the worst places to live for an Asthmatic due to the air quality. According to American Lung Association survey Fresno ranks 4th worst in the nation for ozone, 5th worst in the nation for year round particle pollution, and 2nd worst for short term particle pollution. We rank higher than Los Angeles for short term particle pollution!
With those rankings it makes me wonder if we moved would Luke and Logan asthma go away?
I still have to do some research to try to better figure out Lo and Luke's triggers. We have a pretty good idea of Lo's but not Luke's. We wouldn't want to move and find the same triggers present in the new city.
So I am desperate for your feedback. What would you do? Should we move? Please leave comments and let me know your thoughts.



2 comments:
I know I don't see you a ton, but I hate the thought of you leaving everything you love and I love the fact that our paths still cross on occation because you're here. I will also say that technology makes living away so much easier than it used to be! I don't have kids, so I don't know the weight that has on a Mama's heart, but I do know that Fresno is HORRID. Both R & I have been diagnosed with Athsma as adults and we have awful allergies year around. I would LOVE to move out of Cali for other economic reasons (and maybe a few other contraversial reasons) I'm just not sure what that looks like in this housing and job market. I assure you there will come a time when we relocate. Our kids will never be able to afford to live in California, it's sad, but true. I can tell you that you will pay MUCH less in health insurance in most other states as well!
Wow. What tough decisions. Praying for clarity. It's not a life and death decision so take your time sifting through all the possibilities, take a deep breath :) and remember that it's not as much about where you live as much as it is letting God love through you to the people around you where ever you are. God is already there. He will be with you and satisfy your every need where ever you are. I do hope you can stay ...family, friends, a good job and church are all things you treasure deeply. Thinking of you today.
Post a Comment