I remember before I had kids, thinking to myself that I wanted to enjoy each moment. I remember thinking that I don't want to rush away any of it.
Let me explain.
I know my personality so that concern for me was very real. I am a "doer". I love my checklist and love crossing everything off of it with half my day to spare. Travis laughs at me for it. But he has had 10 years to adjust to it. For example, my Christmas decor was up the weekend after Thanksgiving (would have been up the day after but we were in Oregon) and torn down and put away December 26th. Most of the time I am not really rushing for any particular reason but I naturally have an urgency meter within me that is ON every morning and unless I intentionally shut it off my whole day is rushed/achieved/checklisted away. This or that has to get done NOW. I don't know why, it just does.
Today, I was extremely convicted as I heard my own voice. I was rushing my kids from this place/thing to another for really no reason.
"Hurry buckle up!"
"Hurry get your shoes on!"
"Hurry take a bath!"
Yuck.
Tomorrow I will start over. I will sit and read with Logan and let her pick the long book. I will help Luke put his blocks in his bucket just so he can dump them out... and then do it again and again. I will leave my notepad and pen in the drawer and make no check list.
This is one of the beautiful views near my house. This is what I saw out my kitchen window before the houses were built to the north of us. The picture doesn't capture its true beauty. In person it's rather beautiful. (for Fresno) It reminded me that after every storm... there is clarity.
Practicing their disco moves.

No comments:
Post a Comment